Question #196
Refusing inheritance
My Japanese father who I do not know well has left me some property in Japan (in his will) that I do not want at all. I do not live in Japan. I know that I can refuse the inheritance. What I want to know is what happens to that property after I refuse it? Does it automatically get offered to other family members? What if they refuse it? Does it become property of the state? What happens to that property? Thank you for your advice.
Category: Inheritance
2021-07-19 19:07
Answer #1
2021-07-30 12:14
In Japan, there is a legal procedure called "renunciation of inheritance." If you renounce your inheritance, you will be excluded from your father's heirs. Then Japanese inheritance law will pass on the legacy to other heirs. The order of heirs, except father's spouse, is as follows: 1.Father's other children or grandchildren. 2.Fathe...
* Login to read full answers *
Masato Sasaki
Shiho-shoshi Solicitors