Question #202
Japanese eqivalent to power of attorney
Can you please tell me if there is a Japanese equivalent for a power of attorney for finacial or legal matters? I have an elderly aunt 90 years old in Japan living alone (all her suriving family in Japan are even older, no young people). She needs help in selling her home and ask for my help. I grew up and am living overseas. How can I get power of attorney to act on her behalf? Do I have to petition a family court? Will they grant it to someone living overseas (I cannot move back to Japan at this time).
Category: Other
2021-10-11 11:27
Answer #1
2021-10-14 14:27
On most occasions, you do not need the permission of the family court to obtain power of attorney from your aunt to sell your house. You can proceed with the sale process by having your aunt prepare a power of attorney for you. However, if you do not live in Japan, it would be hard to sell real estate in Japan. Suppose it is difficult for your aunt to go through sellin...
* Login to read full answers *
Ryosuke Kimura
Attorney-at-law & Tax Accountant